The Jewish Commandment of “Tikkun Olam” means “healing the world.” Temple B’nai Or has a long history of being committed to social action, as well as the performance of the mitzvot of Tikkun Olam aimed at helping each other, our neighbors and the world around us. The Social Action Committee at Temple B’nai Or has many opportunities for people of all ages to engage in meaningful activities and programs designed to help those in need and to achieve social justice. Some examples of our most recent social action activities include:
• non-perishable food collections for the Morris County Interfaith Food Pantry during the High Holy Days and throughout the year
• making lunches and participating in Bridges Outreach “runs” to feed the homeless in NYC and Newark
• coat collections for Annual Jersey Cares Coat Drive
• volunteering to support Family Promise of Morris County house the homeless
• making and serving meals on a monthly basis for the Morristown Soup Kitchen
• collecting Kosher Passover Food for local kosher food pantry
• collecting sports equipment for camps in Israel
• monthly tzedakah collection for local needs
• raising awareness about and money to address crises around the world
Please join the Social Action Committee as we engage in Tikkun Olam, or fixing the world, by recycling and limiting wasteful practices. If we collect 500 pounds of plastic, Temple will receive a beautiful bench made by the Trex company. Hopfully this will lead us to find ways to use less plastic! Please bring your plastic to Temple. Recycling bins are located outside the office. For more information and specific plastics you can recycle, please click here.
We hope you will join us as we endeavor to make our community and the world better. Please consider volunteering to participate in a mitzvah project. Or, if you have an idea for a mitzvah project, please let us know and we will help you make it happen.
For more information, please contact Tanya Simon, (973) 879-4464, firstname.lastname@example.org or Judith Stein-Loewenthal, (917) 225-9507, email@example.com.